Sunday, March 22, 2015

SHIT

Sailors love to be part of a group - give us a reason to get together, talk boats and drink some rum and we are all about it! Here in Georgetown we have a fair number of these groups, one of which is the S.H.I.T.s - Single Handers In Transit. This week, I found myself in this category - although technically I guess I wasn't, because I am not actually in transit just sitting here at anchor.

Brad headed home to Baltimore for a wedding, and while I was sad to be left behind, a quick check at the weather forecast for Baltimore had me more than happy to send him off alone! I was somewhat excited to have the boat to myself for four days - no picking up after someone else, having popcorn for dinner without complaint, laying in bed at all hours of the day. Well, that novelty wore off almost as soon as I got back to the empty boat.

My first night on my own, I got together with four other boaters on four separate boats anchored near me whose significant others were also gone for a few days. We dubbed ourselves the "Lonely Hearts Club" and had great fun having sundowners together.

Once back on the boat however, I began to feel the emptiness again. Living on a boat with your significant other means that you are together 24/7. This can seem like a lot for some people, but we both enjoy it and get along extremely well (for the most part!). So, although I could veg out on the couch and watch a sappy movie with a bowl of popcorn all to myself, I realized suddenly that four days was going to seem like a lifetime...

Luckily, all of our fellow boaters came to my rescue - my social calendar has been busier since Brad left than it has since we've been here. I have spent my days playing volleyball, socializing on the beach, having afternoon drinks with friends, being picked up by others to go across the harbour to listen to music, and have taken Koa to the beach multiple times. It has been a fabulous three days!

Had a photo shoot with Koa to occupy my time today:



Then suddenly I wake up this morning and realize that I haven't completed anything on my "Honey Do List".....oops! So I turned off the VHF this morning so I wouldn't be tempted to go out and have fun and got to work on my list (boo...). I finished everything and even had time to take Koa to the beach for a bit! Now I'm spending a quiet evening in before giving the boat one last spruce up in the morning for Brad's arrival.

While I'm lucky to have such great friends to take care of me and occupy my time so that the days didn't drag on, I am very ready to have my husband back on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment