Friday, November 19, 2010

Up, Up, and Away...

11.14.2010

So one of the large tasks that we have been putting off for so long is going up the mast to replace the anchor light and checking the wiring on our anemometer (the thing that tells us the direction and speed of the wind). Yes, that meant that one of us was going to have to be hoisted all the way to the top of our 59' mast. And of course it only makes sense for the lighter of us to be the one to go - so, up I went!
Brad strapped me into a bosuns chair and attached it to our main halyard line as I started to get a little nervous about this whole endeavor. I did feel a little better when Brad told me he wasn't nervous and that I would be fine. We started slowly, making sure that everything was set up correctly and the line was going to hold my weight (I'm no lightweight!). Everything seemed fine, so Brad started hauling me up.
It was a long and arduous process; me shimmying up the mast trying to take some of the pressure off of Brad, both of us having to rest every 15 feet of so. When I was almost at the top, Chelsea (my friend visiting from Jax) arrived and immediately starting laughing and taking pictures - we were quickly turning into the neighborhood entertainment.

Of course I reached the top of the mast only to realize that I was too far down to actually see the top and could, in fact, barely even reach up to change the bulb! Talk about frustrating!! So I wrapped my left arm over the top of the mast and with my right arm, attempted to unscrew the cap off the anchor light. After a few setbacks - after twisting for 10 minutes I realized there was electrical tape around the base that I had to remove, and then I couldn't reach the top of the screwdriver to unscrew the screws to remove the actual light fixture - I finally managed to just changed out the lightbulb and replace the cap. Although we were hoping to change the whole fixture, this was better than nothing.
I took a few pictures of the top of the mast and of me hanging so high in the air. And of course, of the marina, the scenery and our boat which looked so tiny down below! Then Brad and Chelsea slowly let me down.

All in all, it was uneventful and a lot more fun than I had ever thought it would be! And of course, as soon as I was safely down on the boat Brad said, "Thank God! I thought I was going to be sick the whole time you were up there!" Well, at least he is a good liar!

No comments:

Post a Comment